VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2009

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:41:39 -0400
If one man was a witness on a marriage bond in 1798 in VA, and
another man provided surety on that same marriage bond, from that
information alone, can one determine which man was the father of the
bride (assuming that one of the men was, in fact, the bride's father)?  I
have a case where a widowed woman was getting married for the
second time (and the last name used on the marriage bond was her
married name versus her maiden name...and her maiden name has not
been proven).  One man served as a witness and another man provided
surety (and these two men had different surnames).  Which one was
likely the father of the bride (again...assuming that one of them really
was her father...which I suspect)?  Thanks.