VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:12:03 -0500
Hi to the list

OK cousins, need some help here...

Question # One
I  vaguely remember hearing/reading that Buckingham County is not indexed
in the Virginia Census Index for 1860.  Does anyone have the source for
this and can add more to this?
If any of you are subbing to Ancestry.Com the only 1860 "hits" I get are
those found on the slave schedule...

Question # Two
What/where/how does one locate maps that will show the census
districts/townships or other geopolitical divisions for the census so that
comparisions may be made over the different census.  I am aware of a book
by Dollarhyde that shows the county boudaries (have not seen it in many
years) but don't know if this goes to any more depth than the county
changes over the years. I am interested particularly in relation to
Buckingham County.

Question # Three
Does anyone know where the dividing line was between the Northern District
and the Southern District in the 1840 census for Buckingham County?

Question # Four
What is the relationship between the Nothern & Southern Districts (1840)
and District # One and District # Two in the 1850 Census?

TIA

Alice in Fluvanna