VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:38:13 -0500
I'd have to ask what one would hope to prove even if you were
successful in getting permission, and obtaining something that could
be tested for DNA (how, for example, could you ever be sure of even
locating the correct grave?).

I'm no expert in DNA, but as I understand it, a close "match" merely
proves that the two people whose DNA are being compared descended from
a common (ancient) ancestor.  If that is so, and even if you got a
close match, then I'd think all you would prove is that Mylles Cary
was descended from the same man as your other sample; it would not
prove that Mylles Cary was your ancestor.

Can someone with more expertise comment on this?  I really think too
much is being made of DNA.  The age old question for genealogists is
really a two-parter: 1) where did I come from, and how did I get here?
DNA offers hope to answer the first part of the question, but doesn't
do a thing to answer the second.  Or am I wrong?

Lou Poole