VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2001

From:
Beverly Brunelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:54:46 EST
Jonathan,

I can't speak for everyone - but personally, I would have no problems with
anyone asking me about any slaves that my ancestors owned.  The few who did
own slaves - there is not much info on them - but ALL of us have a right to
find out about our ancestors.

I don't think there would be any special way - just a straight forword query
like - "Do you have any additional information on Matilda who is listed in
the the following document:

St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana
C. O. B. "A", Folio 229

Elisha Roberts
No. 387 Bill of Sale    To Isaac Roberts

KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS.
That I, ELISHA ROBERTS for the sum of Five Hundred and Twenty five Dollars to
me in hand paid by Isaac Roberts, Senr. have bargained, sold and delivered
unto the sa. Roberts one Negro Woman named Matilda, aged about 16 years,
which negro I do warrant and defend from claim or claims of all and every
person or persons wherever, In witness thereof I have hereunto set my hand
and seal this 10th day of April 1818.

Attest            (Signed) Elisha Roberts
Absolom Roberts

John Osborn"
The above Absolom was my ancestor (originally this family was from
Pittsylvania County, VA)  and Isaac and Elisha were his brothers.  Elisha was
in San Augustine County, Texas by 1835 - and there is a story of him chasing
a runaway slave. (not Matilda)

Anyone who has additional information and is truly into genealogy, should NOT
have a problem sharing.  None of us are responsible for our ancestors actions
- and anyone who has a problem with it - would not be worth knowing anyway!

Best of luck with your search!

Beverly
Casper, WY

Researching the following lines: BIALI/BIALE, BORDELON, BREWER, BRUNELLE,
CARBO, EDMONDSON, ETHERIDGE, LABORDE, LANDRY, LEEBURG,  MASCARO,
NORMAND/LENORMAND, PONS, ROBERTS, ROTJER, SHOEMAKE, TALTAVULL,
TERRAL/TERRELL, WHATLEY ,WHITTINGTON,  LOWE, HYATT.