VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2008

From:
Cynthia McCachern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia McCachern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 03:03:45 -0800
I would like to know how many pounds of tobacco an average planter in Virginia in the late 1600's or early 1700's could harvest.  I guess I'm just trying to get some sort of frame of reference as to how much money we are talking about when I'm reading about early lawsuits.  For instance, I have an ancestor who was ordered after losing a lawsuit in Westmoreland Co, VA, in 1703 to pay 720 pounds of tobacco.  To me this seems like a lot of tobacco.  However, in reading through early court records, I'm seeing a lot of orders for 400-700 pounds of tobacco.  So, I'm just trying to find some frame of reference to understand how much money we are talking about.  Any help?

Cindy Cornwell McCachern