VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2009

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:11:22 -0400
Janice,

I do not see a connection between "your" Smiths and "my" Smiths, and it does
not APPEAR that the name "Edward" was used in my Smith family.  My Smith
family is out of the Alexander Smith who died in Middlesex Co., VA in 1696.
Alexander had a neighbor who was named John Smith (died 1669; John may or
may not have been related to Alexander....we only have male Smith DNA donors
out of Alexander's family at this time).  John Smith had a son named Captain
John Smith, and the "Captain's" 1727 will in Middlesex was witnessed by an
Edward Smith....who no one seems to be able to "place."  This Edward Smith
had also been the witness for a Thomas Smith back in 1723, and that Thomas
Smith does not APPEAR to have been related to Alexander Smith and/or his
neighbor John Smith (it SEEMS that there were four or more unrelated Smith
families in that part of VA in the early-1700s).  I have no idea what
happened to this Edward Smith after his appearance on the referenced 1727
will in Middlesex Co., VA.

Best regards,

Bill Davidson