VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:54:47 -0600
The term "bound out" is not subject to precise definition, and was very
commonly used and generally referred to any person - usually children of an
age less than that considered to be "adulthood" - who had been placed in the
charge of others.

Other than rudimentary instruction in reading, writing, and "ciphering", the
society and law of the centuries before about 1900 provided very little
protection or training for the young, most such upbringing and training (if
any) in the opportunities open in that world being left to individual
citizens.

So, when the vestry or a court so determined, a child would be so placed in
the home of some citizen (or parishioner) in order that it not be or become
a financial burden to the parish or the county.

Learning, care and apprenticed skills were only rarely provided by any
entity that we now might call "government".  So, the guardians of children
so placed were expected to provide training in some trade or "art and
mystery" in exchange for the obedience and help provided by the child.
Then too, again as Harold mentioned, upon "emancipation" of the young adult
from those requirements, such "servants" were to be given some measure of
reward  -  usually clothing and food - with which they might begin their own
lives.

As Harold and "C" both have written, we know of no instance where a male
child over 21 or a female over 18 were so placed, short of those few who
were permitted to marry,  became severely mentally or physically challenged,
or were declared "mad" or what then were called "idiots".  Thus, as to those
so placed, the researcher should infer that a boy was under 21 and a girl
under 18 when so placed .  But, be careful of the exceptions however, since
many are to be found within the records.

The age at which such "binding" ended varied widely, again depending upon
the decisions made by the vestry, the court and (or) the guardian.  It was
not uncommon for the very young - even infants - to so change in character
or capacity through personality, injury or accident that the court or vestry
would modify the terms of the prior placement.