VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:47:13 -0600
Great info, Don, thanks.

	I must say that, while I have but little doubt that an experienced
and strong horseman with a healthy and young animal could accomplish just
what you have stated.  Nor would I question your notes that mounted infantry
had made 14.5 miles per day for those 62 days.

	However I would wonder whether any eastern farm boy/man, even with
his best work horses taken from the fields to the wagon hitch, could ever do
more than that 20 mile, 12 hour day (1.7 miles per hour) without extended
rest periods and occasional days of rest and grazing.  Then too, I further
would have to wonder, even if our imaginary wagon master was highly
experienced and the passengers were healthy, able and could move at that
rate day after day, whether such animals, at least those many of which I
witnessed working for my Gfather and Father, would not have been broken down
in but a few days.  I would almost say that I am sure that the horses and
mules that I watched could not have so worked weeks on end and day after day
in the worst and the best of weather and through terrible heat or cold and
rain, sleet, snow or mud.

Please know again that I have no question as to your veracity or as to those
rates of speed, given healthy, strong horses that were broken to such work
and passengers that could handle that terrible dust, weather and stress.

Thanks again, and Merry Xmas, Don     :-)