VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2004

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:08:53 -0800
Dear Marie,

I think many of us understand completely.  We all have had problems;
worse than sloppy in-family researchers, there are actually people out
there who plunder others' work and then "publish" it on the web for
families with which they themselves have no connection!  On the other
hand, if you just "lurk" a little while, you can usually spot such
problems before they take you over.

There are also some common sense routines.  Because much of "my" data
is founded on the work of a dear internet friend ,  I (with his
permission) will only give out specific data, credited to him, in
response to direct questions.  But I will work to find something, even
if it means considerable new work, to answer any good faith inquiry.
With 98% of the web-folks, if you simply put something in your cover
note about crediting yourself or someone else you benefitted from if
the material is re-published, it will be done.  Innocent forgetfulness
is probably more of a problem than any deliberate plaigarism.  You can
also help the situation by passing on warnings (e.g. about folks who
suddenly publish 5 works on unrelated families), to your nicest
co-researchers, whose first inclination is probably to open up to
everyone.

The web has been very very good to me, primarily by, after just a
couple of years, putting me in touch with others whose labors I need
not repeat and whose material, with a narrower focus, I can usually
enhance.  With just a little care, it should work as well for everyone.

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA