VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2001

Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:25:16 EST
Fellow Virginia Researchers:

I continue to research the origins of my Thomas COOPER Sr. who I believe was
on Possum Creek in Bedford Co, VA later Campbell Co by 1748.  He was the
father of Thomas Cooper who married Sarah ANTHONY in 1762 in Bedford Co.  She
was the daughter of Joseph Anthony and Elizabeth CLARK, daughter of
Christopher Clark and Penelope..Johnson (maybe Massie, or Bolling).

When researching my Baugh lines in Chesterfield Co recently, I was much
surprised to find the following entry with five men, all of whom I believe
are in Bedford Co at the time, obviously  going to Chesterfield to take care
of the estate of Elizabeth MARTIN.

Here is the entry in the Order Book #1 page 338, May 4 1753 Court

"Francis Calloway granted administration of estate of Elizabeth MARTIN;
Thomas COOPER, Robert HAIRSTONES, Samuel HAIRSTONES and Charles CARFRY to
appraise.
Returned May 23, 1753, value 13 pounds, 18 shillings."

My question is whether any of you know the relationship, beyond being
neighbors, of the gentlemen in question..AT THIS TIME. (FYI, I have seen the
microfilm of the original and it does not elucidate the relationships.)I know
that some of the Hairstons moved to Henry Co, as did Thomas Cooper.  I have
several "downstream" connections between these families and others in the
Christopher Clark/Joseph Anthony clans. Was Francis Calloway a brother,
in-law of Elizabeth Martin?

In trying to place Thomas Cooper there are Thomas Coopers I just found that
stand out in Essex Co VA in the early 1700s, and where I understand the
Callaways also came from before Bedford/Lunenberg. Charles Caffrey Sr. had
land in Henrico Co.  Peter Hairston, ancestor of the two Hairston gentlemen,
according to the Hairston family website, is first sighted in Lancaster Co PA.

With respect to Elizabeth Martin, I can't place her amongst the Chesterfield
Co Martins for whom I have will abstracts from late 1740s, and to whom my
John Baugh sold his "Cathole" land on the Appomatox (I think near present day
Ashton Creek) in 1775 to John Martin (I have the deed, FYI).

Any of your thoughts are much appreciated..And for my fellow Cooper
researchers, the evidence continues to mount that Thomas Cooper with wife
Sarah Anthony, was the son of a Thomas Cooper, and was not/cannot be the son
of Benjamin Cooper and Elizabeth Kelly as is said "out there" in several
places.  I am also beginning to think the references that say he was born
1733 in "Frederick VA", might actually be "Fredericksville Parish", but
that's only conjecture after looking at maps and such, as well as some
Frederick Co records, where the Coopers at the time seem to be of German
origin.

I would very much like to know if any of you are studying/have studied the
Essex Co Coopers and found connections there with the Callaways or the family
of Joseph Martin d. 1762 in Louisa Co who also had connections in Essex Co.
I have the late 1600, 1700 posts on these Cooper families from the Cooper
list archives several years ago.

My best regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter