VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Jim Cary <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 22:35:12 -0700
My thanks to all those who responded to my question regarding DNA. I greatly
appreciate all the professionals that subscribe to this list and all the
candid and informative replies. I now understand the difficulty in getting a
DNA sample, and the folly of thinking there would be something remaining
after three hundred and forty years.

I have to admit that I have visited the grave site without the permission of
the property owners, but that is because it is readily accessible and the
homeowners were not home at the time. However I don't believe the current
owners would have objected.

My conundrum is connecting to an individual that reportedly had his senior
line die out in the mid nineteenth century. My own documentation dates back
to 1745 in Nansemond County, but is nearly a century after Mylles Cary died
in Warwick County. I suppose I should be happy that I have managed to get
back that far, but it seems that the more I learn, the more I want to know.
I guess that is what keeps me interested in genealogy.

Jim Cary