VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2019

From:
"Deal, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2019 13:10:20 -0400
The UncommonWealth: New Blog Launched September 25

As the Library of Virginia approaches its 200th birthday in 2023, it seemed
like a good time to take stock of our online presence and the stories we
share with the public. As they exist, our current blogs *Fit to Print* and *Out
of the Box* capture only a fraction of all that the Library has and does.
With our new blog launching September 25, 2019—*The UncommonWealth: Voices
from the Library of Virginia*—we aim to expand our scope to help you learn
more about what we do, why we do it, and how our efforts relate to current
issues and events. We also plan to tell you more about your fellow
Virginians who work here at the Library, spotlighting staff members,
specialized professions, and public libraries.

Since its founding over 400 years ago, Virginia has continued to grow and
evolve. The Library of Virginia, seeking to collect and reflect our
ever-changing state, contains a wealth of stories and resources—a treasure
trove of cultural heritage that belongs to us all, whether you were born a
Virginian or arrived more recently. We are constantly adding to the unique
cultural wealth of Virginia, as well as bringing new eyes to our
well-established collections. We will update the blog each week, and we
invite you to visit often, make comments, and share your experiences. We
hope you will enjoy and contribute to the wealth of stories here, all of
which are far from common.

Beginning Wednesday, September 25, 2019, visit
uncommonwealth.virginiamemory.com to start exploring.