VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

From:
William Milam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Milam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:08:38 -0500
I want to thank everyone who responded to my post on the term "Calendar"
last week especially Brent Tarter for pointing out the LVA link and for his
posts - also Cynthia Russell for her interesting question. I learned a lot
and have updated my definition including the date to B.C. Before I attempt
specific legal terms, I thought that I would try to get at the very basis
for colonial law:

"English Common Law - The traditional law of England based on custom and
usage which developed over a thousand years before the founding of the
United States. After William the Conqueror of Normandy conquered England in
1066, he combined what he thought was the best of Anglo-Saxon law with
Norman law which resulted in the Common Law, much of which was by custom and
precedent rather than by written code. English Common Law eventually became
the basic law of most U.S. states due to the "Commentaries on the Laws of
England" by Sir William Blackstone published in 1769."