VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2006

From:
"Craig R. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig R. Scott
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:14:06 -0500
Although it might appear that Genealogical Publishing Company is Peter
Wilson Coldham's pubisher, he has another title (out of print, but just
waiting to go to the printer for reprint) published by Heritage Books, Inc.:

The King's Passengers to Maryland and Virginia - Peter Wilson Coldham.
Nearly 400 convict ships carrying 50,000 men, women and children left
British waters bound for the southern colonies of America where their human
cargos were sold. With remarkably few exceptions the transportation ships
frequented the ports of Chesapeake Bay where, for almost 100 years,
facilities had been developed for the reception and sale of convicted
prisoners. This tidal wave of involuntary laborers became known, officially
and informally, as "His Majesty's Seven-Year Passengers": they have been
characterized as the largest body of identifiable emigrants ever recorded
but until now no attempt has been made to bring together the hundreds of
individual passenger lists which survive in English and American archives.
Some 25,000 passengers are listed here. They are shown alphabetically by
surname and in the order of the English cities or counties where they were
condemned. A comprehensive list of convict "runaways" has been compiled from
contemporary Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania newspapers and
cross-referenced to the passenger lists. A separate section is devoted to
the later careers in the colonies of twenty known felons from England,
including one for whom there is some evidence of royal descent. (1997),
2004, 5½x8½, paper, index, 464 pp. C0582
ISBN: 1585495824

C.

Craig R. Scott, CG
President & CEO