VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:03:55 -0500
Oh, surely you are correct, Joy, but your counties are as good a place to start as any for fundamental research.  What most fail to realize is that less than 40% of all the records we MIGHT one day want to use have been abstracted or otherwise made available to researchers, and of that 40%, less than 30% is yet available on the net.  So it is that if we read EVERYTHING on the net, we would have viewed something in the neighborhood of 12% of what is out there.

Wonderful as it is, and wonderful as are such rare and fine sources as VA Archives, we have a VERY long way to travel on the future internet road before even coming close to our needs as family historians.  Where, where, where is what genealogy and visiting county sites is all about.  Paul