VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:22:36 -0400
Katie and other listers,

Lucky you to be going to the Archives!  It is truly a wonderful place!  I
have no specific info on where to look for specific records, however, I
thought you might be interested in some general info re: using the Archives.
I used to go there frequently when I lived in MD but it's been at least five
years since my last visit, so if things have changed I hope someone will
jump in and correct me.

First, get there very early --- as soon as they open --- and expect to stay
there until they close if you want to make the most of your time.  It can
take a VERY long time to get original records pulled.  I've waited hours for
one record.  If you find something of interest, request it right away since
you may have to wait for it, especially around lunch time.

Expect to have to fill out a form and show ID to get a researcher's card
before you will be allowed to go anywhere.  It's not a big deal, but takes
time.

You will not be allowed to take ANYTHING into the research room.  No bags,
papers, notes, writing pad, pens, pencils, nada.  They provide cards and
pencils.  You have to put all your stuff in a locker (bring coins!).  I was
always using original records so this applied; I'm not sure if it also
applies to the area that has card files, etc.  I don't know if they allow
laptops now.

You will be expected to maintain complete silence -- which they enforce.
Which means if you go with someone, no talking above a very low whisper.
They WILL tell you to shut up.  Very embarassing.

Wear comfortable clothes that won't show dirt; some of those old records are
absolutely filthy.  Especially anything bound in old morocco leather, which
inevitably will be disintergrating.

Since you live in DC you probably already know this, but for other listers:
If you are driving, you might consider parking on the outskirts and taking
the metro to the archives.  Parking in downtown DC is a nightmare.  Be very
careful with the parking garages in the area.  I once made the mistake of
parking in a garage near the Archives where the attendant assured me they
would be open until midnight.  I left the Archives when they closed at 10:00
pm, only to find that the garage was closed with my car locked inside.  I
won't bore you with the story, suffice to say it involved getting the
police, the building manager, and others before I could get the car.  So my
caveat is:  be careful where you park!

Have fun and prepare to be awed!  I hope I haven't scared anyone off.   NARA
is a wonderful place full of amazing things, but they have their rules and
it helps to know them before hand.

Have a great time --- I am pea green with envy!

Kathy Liston