VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2005

From:
john nolin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:20:04 -0500
Clay Gullatt had almost the right answer when he said "In the Old South weren't JOPs and County Judges usually addressed as Squire when off the bench?"  This usage is not limited to the "Old South".  In fairly recent years, I served several terms as a Magistrate for the Virginia Court System, and during that time was often addressed as "Squire."  This title was used in lieu of "Mr." in informal conversations, just as the title "Judge" would be used preceeding the name of a District or Circuit Court judge.  I believe the "Squire" was also used for Justices of the Peace, the predecessor office to Magistrate, and for the "Gentlemen Justices" who governed Virginia counties before the present Board of Supervisors became the governing bodies.

john nolin
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.