VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:52:26 -0400
While comparing early Mutual Assurance Society (MAS) insurance policies
against those of Henrico Deed Books (HDB), I came across various date and
owner discrepancies.  I find title deeds to houses issued to an owner years
before they have an insurance policy issued by MAS.  Sometimes I find
co-owners or owners on policies not seen on deeds!

Questions:

1) Was it normal in the early years (pre 1850) to have delayed policies
issued and if so, why?

2) Were policies mandatory?  I say that because there is a house around the
corner from me situated on E. Marshall Street (then ' I ' Street) built in
1814 that I have never seen a MAS policy on.

3) Was there other companies issuing policies in Richmond during this time
frame and if so, who were they and are their records available to look at
like MAS?

Thanks for any info you can provide concerning these puzzles.

Eric