VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:39:03 -0400
In John Perry Alderman's book, "The Settlements, Carroll County 1765-1815,"
he states, "The predominant faith in the days of the county settlement was
the Quakers. The Quaker Church had strong congregations in several parts of
eastern and central Virginia, but for western Virginia,, only in Carroll was
there a significant settlement by the Quaker faithful." (We must remember
there was no Carroll County at this time, we were still part of Grayson
County VA.)
"The early Quaker settlers officially had their church memberships at the
New Garden MM in Guilford County NC; after the Westfield Meeting was
organized in 1786 in Surry County NC. their membership was transferred to
that place.."
"The Mt. Pleasant MM was set up in 1801; it comprised all the Quaker
memberships in the county and endured until 1826. (1 Hinshaw 1001)."
The Mt. Pleasant Meeting in it's later day was also called the Chestnut
Creek Meeting." It's meeting house was on a seven acre site deeded in 1797
by Joshua Hanks and the younger William Reddick. The CEMETERY which was
adjunct to the MM still remains and is beautifully maintained.."
"There were at least three other meeting houses for the Quakers in the
county, all which were outposts for the Mt. Pleasant Meeting. One was at
Hillsville at the present site of the North End Cemetery, another on Burks
Fork which was known as Fruit Hill MM and a third at Wards Gap."
"The Quakers by 1800 numbered between a fourth and a third of the population
(that is the Carroll portion of Old Grayson County)"
"The migration pattern of the time was to the Northwest. The minutes of the
Mt. Pleasant Meeting reveal that hundreds of Quaker families left, bound for
southern Ohio and Indiana where they hoped to build a better life.."
This is a bit condensed from Mr. Alderman's book, but I hope has helped
someone. Remember this is all his research, I merely took the liberty of
copying.
As to Charles Mabry/Mayberry, he was in Montgomery County VA. by 1787. He
moved to Grayson/Carroll County probably shortly after. We believe his wife
to be Sarah Helton/Hylton.
Regards,
Mary A. Sutphin