VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2003

From:
First Families <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
First Families <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 14:43:57 -0800
Hello Everyone:

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the tracing our male lines that we tend
to set aside those
ladies who  married into our male lines.

Be sure you have as much information as possible on these ladies as it will
be of great
assistance while tracing down your correct male line plus adding those
family lines
that you are unaware of.

This is extremely important when you are searching for your early immigrant
ancestors.

For example let us say a John Jackson married a Mary Worth and he had four
sons John,
Robert, William and Thomas.

It is not uncommon for all four of these sons naming one of their boys
John. after their father.
That means you will be running into marriages,deaths, births etc. of a lot
of John's around the
same time period. Not only will it be difficult in separating the various
John's and where they
belong within your family tree but, those who do not belong to you family.

Always be sure to require positive proof on all your entries as it will
save you uncountable
time in the long run.

A mere listing from some Family History that does not indicate necessary
dates or any mention
of parentage will prove that you will need to do additional work to prove
that entry. You must remember
that a family history is not a source it its self. Look for the proofs that
the writer used for his connections.

Most of the early Family Histories from the 1800s contain errors that can
be deadly to your line. Take your
time and search elsewhere for the additional proofs you will need.

YOUR LINE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE PROOFS YOU PROVIDE

The very best to you all and happy hunting.

Harold Oliver
Director
America's First Families