VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:34:14 -0600
I believe that after the Revolution all men disabled in combat (whatever
that was) were eligible for help from the new govt. - pensions, of sorts.
In 1818 Congress provided pensions for indigent veterans(and they REALLY had
to be poor).  In 1832, all surviving vets were so entitled.  Finally, in
1836, any widow who had been married to a vet before or during the war also
gained a pension.
Paul