VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 19:18:54 -0500
Miss Elizabeth surely is correct.

As an example, while most of us have used Ms. Nugent's "Cavaliers and Pioneers", each of us knows that those abstracts are NOT what any of us would describe as "originals" (I almost never use that word).  Nevertheless we all benefited from those and from her enormous effort.  Fortunately now, and thanks to VA Library and such as Brent and his people, we are able to move one step closer to those early documents from which Ms. Nugent worked.

Thus it is that it may be said that the internet copies likely are as near as we may come to the "originals" without travel and extraordinary effort.

Paul

Genealogy without documentation is nothing.
                     Paul Drake JD
                Genealogist & Author
            <www.DrakesBooks.com>