VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2003

From:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nel Hatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:12:46 -0600
Website: Hatcher Families Resource Center
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher
List Admin: Hatcher email list
Researching: Cook, Hall, Hatcher, Kuhns, Miller, Shepherd, Timberman
HATCHER DNA Project  http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hatDNA.htm
"Genealogy Without Documentation is Nothing" - Paul Drake

I and my family are listed in the 1790 RichmondCo, NC as Free Negro. I think
I'm white but I may be 1/2 Indian. I'm positive my wife is Indian but she
may be part Negro (or at least darker skinned). My kids could be a mish-mosh
of light to dark.

Am I and my family listed as Free Negro because it's obvious we aren't pure
white and Free Negro is the only available category? If I really appear to
the c-taker to be Negro, does he ask for my papers to prove I'm not a
runaway slave? Since I read somewhere that Indians were not supposed to be
counted in the earlier censi, are we counted simply because it's obvious
some of us are white or part white?

Cheers,
Nel