VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:54:22 -0800
I worked in the VA Bureau of Vital Records in the early 1970s.  They have NO records for that period of 1896 - 1912 ( but it is by date month not by year, like Sept 1896 and March 1912).  At that time, they recommended you contact the local city bureau (as not many county bureaus did backup, most cities did).  There was a series of recommendations for birth verifications (many requests at that time were for Soc Security).  So, no, it is not a part of a "normal search".  Keep in mind, and alot of people are lost on this, what is a normal search to you is not the law and therefore not a normal search to the govt office.  A birth (death, marriage, divorce, even adoption) is a public but legal record not an imaginary idea of what we may think is the necessary record - that might be the church record - emphasis on "might".  And, I might add here, birth, death and adoption records are not open to the public, even if you are the subject; marriage and
 divorce are.  That means you can easily get a marriage and divorce record (it is considered public in that you may have a need to know, like who you might be marrying) but an adoption is the privilege of the adults in the picture not the child, or the privacy of the mother in the case of an out of wedlock birth.  Always keep the period in mind when expecting anything.

Hope this is helpful.