VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2006

From:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:28:51 -0600
I have a 4 volume set of books called The Complete Book Of Emigrants, by
Peter Wilson Coldham, 1987.      It covers the years 1607 to 1776.  Mr.
Coldham searched a wide variety of records in England listing people who
left England for the Americas.   Although records in England are
incomplete, he did find a great deal of information from many sources and
there are lots of names.   Sometimes you really get lucky and it lists
occupation, place where they are from and age.    Sometimes even more
details.    For example one of my several Virginia lines is Northcutt. An
entry in vol 2 1661-1699, page 464 reads as follows:
        "July 7, 1684:  The following apprenticed in Middlesex:  Richard
Norcott, aged 14, to Robert Hatton of East Smithfield, mariner, 10 years,
Maryland with the consent of his mother Ann N., and his brother Henry N.,
his father being dead."
Richard is a common first name in my Northcutt line and I believe I am
descended from a Richard Northcutt who served as Church Sexton of St.
Paul's Church in Hannover County, VA. from at least 1695 until his death
in 1723.   Could the above Richard Norcutt age 14 in 1684 be my ancestor?
 Not sure, but it certainly is an intriguing clue.

Many references are to Emigrants to Virgina, but also many to Maryland,
the West Indies Islands of Barbados and Nevis and other colonies.

Mr. Coldham also published "The Complete Book Of Emigrants In Bondage
1614-1775" (one volume) in 1988 and a small Supplement to this book in
1992.

When looking up names one needs to be a bit creative as spellings can vary
greatly.    As in Northcutt above you may see Northcott, Norcut, Norcot,
or a number of other variations.

I bought my copies thru the Genealogical Publishing Co. of Baltimore some
years ago.     Most major libraries have these books.

I am happy to go quick look ups, but please be patient as it may take me a
while to get to them.    And I am not offended if you haven't heard back
in a week for you to send me a reminder.   Sometimes my email gets very
cluttered and I miss something.

Thanks,   Rich Fulton, [log in to unmask]
Americas Consulting zSeries SW Sales Representative for Business Partners,
SWG
IBM, home office
2409 Columbia Drive
Flower Mound, TX. 75022  USA
Phone: 972-724-4794, t/l 450-8996
mobile:  469-360-3875

Visit IBM Software for zSeries: http://www.ibm.com/software/zseries
The Mainstream Newsletter:  http://www.ibm.com/software/zseries/mainstream

(Internal Only) zSeries Software: w3.ibm.com/software/zseries