VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:09:47 -0400
That is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do !  ... educate myself.
Thanks !
    Carole

In a message dated 3/15/2011 2:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I'm sure  others will chime in. Before plunging into this, you really need
to educate  yourself about how land conveyance worked in colonial Virginia.
The references  that Mr. Tarter mentioned are a good start.

> From what you have  said, it would be (technically) impossible for one to

> obtain a  "grant" from the king, since grants were not used until after
>  independence.

Actually it's the other way around. Grants from the king  were used before
independence.

> What, then would be the  purpose of an "Entry Record Book"? How would it
> differ (or does  it) from a "Patent Book? Typical Entry Record Book item:
> "Isaac  Dodson 400 Acs. on the No. Mayo beg. at the Lower End of the
Cane Brake
> Th.e up on Both Sides."

The short answer. The patent book  records that a grant of land was made.
Not all grants were surveyed or  settled. The entry record book records that
the land was surveyed. Meaning  that the it was probably settled and lived
on.

Donald W. Moore,  CG
Virginia Beach, Virginia
To subscribe, change options, or  unsubscribe, please see the instructions
at