VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2007

From:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 04:45:55 -0800
It really isn't any of that at all but those "reasons" are why the heat is so intense.  People insist those are the reasons without looking at the stated case.  Then the other side gets animated because they have been effectively ignored or put aside.

  The objections are that the evidence does not support a direct lineage, which for some reason is what people want.  Genealogically oriented people tend to be sticklers for details, evidence and accuracy.

  The exchange just becomes wearisome for both sides and takes up alot of discussion space.

  Katie Holland
  Silver Spring, MD

sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  The most interesting thing about this controversy is the
degree of heat it still generates. Now, as an outsider, I
wonder why.

Is it a belief that so pure a soul as Jefferson would have
remained entirely chaste in the forty-odd years of life left to
him after the death of his wife? Is it a denial of the possibility
that Jefferson failed to acknowledge biological children? Or is
this simply the old Southern attitude, that so high a character
would not have contaminated himself by having sexual inter-
course with a woman who was in part African?

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:01:13 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: 11/15: LVA Book Talk - Mr. Jefferson's Women by Jon Kukla> To: [log in to unmask]> > I sure am glad I don't live close enough to Richmond and the speech and the > author would hear some words from me. It has been proven to me and most around > Monticello who go there often as we used to do when living in Va. that DNA > proved Sally Hemings was not a descendant of one of our best and most > brilliant Presidents is being besmerched by a person who is not worth the paper his > writing are written on. > > We had very lengthy disgussions on this subject quite a number of years ago > and its time to stop this. The author and some of other so called investagators > of history have done great damage to a fine and brilliant President. I resent > this so called author's reporting after all the investigative reporting more > than 10 years ago. What an ego to think he knows more than all those people. >
 > Sarah Browder in Texas, a former Virginia resident. > > > > **************************************> See what's new at http://www.aol.com
Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last.  Get it now.