VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:51:57 EST
Hello Everyone,

I have records of an estate settlement in TN, Greene, Co 1860s that I'm sure
for which many of you could render an opinion or  judgment.  (It is
inconceivable at the moment that I could make a courthouse visit in the near
term (ie 5 years)).  Separate microfilms for  estate settlements, wills, and
inventories (POOR microfilm) for Greene Co after abt 1820 are at DAR in
Washington DC, which is why I have this information.

The settlement records for Isaac Horton, d. abt 1856 reflect a payment in the
final settlment almost as large as the amount heirs received to a lawyer
labelled "judgment".  (Their step mother receive her portion earlier).  When
I say payment....The Attorney received $15.60,,,all the heirs $16.44.  If it
makes a difference...in the 1850 Census, my ancestor is living in his
mother-in-laws house (2nd wife), and the will says that he sold his own land
"Warrant" and it was to be divided amongst his children.

Am I incorrect in assuming, as I am now, that there was litigation involved
in this settlement?  FYI, the six children from first wife,  all get their
equal shares, so I am assuming either (a) someone else had an alleged claim,
or (b) one of the heirs had a problem.

I know I have many more research avenues, but I am trying to make judgments
on what I have.

The Surnames involved here are Horton, Marton, McNeese, Yeakley, Sexton,
DeFord, Armitage, Harrold....mostly NC Quakers.

My best regards,
Janet Hunter