VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Susan Molye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Molye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:14:58 -0500
Before this discussion disappears, I would like to recommend a
special issue of the National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume
89, No. 3 (September 2001).  The title of the issue is
"Jefferson-Hemings."  In this issue nationally known and highly
regarded genealogists analyzed the evidence from a genealogical
perspective and examined whether the "Scholars Commission" Report
satisfies the standards for genealogical proof.  If Mr. Barger isn't
familiar with these articles, he should read them.  Anyone interested
in pursuing the topic by reading the articles Mr. Barger referred to
in his message of 23 March 2006 should also take the trouble to find
this issue of the NGSQ and read it.  It should be available at many
libraries that have genealogy rooms, and it is also available for
purchase directly from the National Genealogical Society at
<http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/BookStore/ShowProduct.cfm?PRODID=206>.

No matter what our level of genealogical education and experience, I
hope we all aspire to use good genealogical methods as we do our
research.  The NGSQ special issue that I have mentioned shows how
standard genealogical analysis, combined with DNA evidence, can be
used with respect to the Jefferson-Hemings question.

Susan M.