VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:26:34 EDT
       Can anyone tell me 1. when the following county chancery suit cases
will be on microfilm and available to genealogical researchers? I am
interested in
a. Richmond County (particularly) but also in
b. Westmoreland County
c. Lancaster County

2. The "loose papers" of Richmond County were shanghaied by "conservators"
about 1 1/2 years ago, folded flat and put in archival boxes and sent to LOV.
 They have now been returned to Richmond County Clerk's Office and repose on
top of metal filing cabinets and no one is to touch them. The clerks at
Richmond County have ALWAYS been most cooperative and this query is NOT to be
construed as a criticism of them but I think that the conservation of the
loose papers has been a fiasco with no regard for researchers- perhaps my
children will have the benefit but this hiatus of time is nothing but a PITA
to me (and other genealogists to whom I have spoken). Rosa Forrester (Chief
Clerk at Richmond County circuit court) states that "someone" is coming to
arrange papers alphabetically- THEN what happens? Can anyone in charge give
researchers an idea of just what is going on? Yes, we all know that there are
budget "problems" so tell us who to vote for to break the log jam!
3. Perhaps someone can give a time table as to when researchers can again
utilize chancery suits in the various Virginia counties where "conservators"
have taken them hostage. It would be valuable to all. For example, these
papers have been taken from Northumberland County- one of only peripheral
interest to me but still invaluable for genealogists in this "mother county"
of the Northern Neck.
4. Can someone inform us amateur researchers as to earliest date of chancery
suit papers in all of the counties? Somewhere that info should be available.
I THINK that the earliest date of retained chancery suit cases in Richmond
County is 1748 because the first archival box containing them states 1748-
001. Is this date correct? Can anyone tell me (and others) when chancery
suits began in various counties?  i.e. what is the earliest date for
Northumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancaster Counties? What years are missing
in those counties? Thanks to whoever has the moxie to answer these questions.
William M. McCarty, MD
                                                 23 Glebe Court
                                                 Montross, VA 22520 e-mail <