VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2003

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:29:02 -0700
To follow up on my earlier query on this subject:  In my opinion, the
census images on Ancestry.com are superior to the Genealogy.com census
CDs.  The Ancestry.com images are grayscales, whereas the Genealogy.com
images are black-and-white.  On Ancestry.com, darkish areas of a page
appear much as they do on microfilm:  the background may make the
writing hard to see, but the writing is still there.  In the
Genealogy.com images, in contrast (no pun intended), some of the
writing is lost, either because the writing was too light and ended up
as white on the image, or because the surrounding background became
solid black.  I suppose the black-or-white approach makes for smaller
file sizes.

Again, my opinion; others may disagree.

Scott