VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2013

From:
Mary Soles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:19:41 -0400
&nbsp;My grandmother graduated high school in 1917 and attended Longwood for six months or so (then State Normal School,
I believe). &nbsp;She then taught in Nottoway County until she married. &nbsp;Her sister did the same, but then went on to get her degree and &nbsp;taught in
Hopewell for 40 years. &nbsp;
&nbsp; It could very well be that counties set their own rules for teachers. &nbsp;
Jesse Stuart, author of The Thread that RUns so True, is a good source of info about teaching in the early to mid
1900s.
Best,
&nbsp;Mary&nbsp;
&nbsp;
-----Original Message-----From: John McComb &lt;[log in to unmask]&gt;Sent: 7/16/2013 4:46:00 PMTo:
[log in to unmask]: Subject: [VA-ROOTS] 1920 Virginia teaching certification requirements.
My Grandmother taught elementary school in Stuarts Draft, Augusta County, in 1920 plus and minus a few years.I do not know how much formal
education that she had received growing up. I was wondering if anyone might know what the education and other requirements were that were in effect
at that time in order for someone to teach school.Thank youJohnTo subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please
see the instructions athttp://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html