VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:30:16 -0500
I seem to have missed the early discussions re headstones, and so can but add that there was no native stone throughout most of Tidewater VA and the Carolinas, hence they had no stone available for markers of any sort.  The result was that only those wealthy enough to import stone from the Northern Colonies or bring it east from the Appalachians had any raw material from which to carve any grave markers whatever.

Thus it is that, while I can direct others to numerous headstones of my maternal New England ancestors, not a single such marker exists for my usually near-poor VA/NC folks until well into the 19th century.  Paul