VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Much <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:23:04 -0700
In an earlier message Charleen wrote:
> At Ancestry.com in the Early Immigrants to Virginia from the 1500s to 1600s
> database I find that "Robert Taliaferro (about 1626-1688) married Sarah
> Grymes, daughter of Rev. Charles Grymes".
>
> I have the following info: "....Katherine, wife of Robert Taliaferro, Ann,
> wife of Edward Hoyle, and Mary Dedman were sisters and daughter of
> Katherine, wife of the Rev. Charles Grymes, by a previous marriage and hence
> step-daughters ("daughters-in-law" in the 17th and 18th century use of the
> word) of the Rev. Charles Grymes.  Katherine Grymes was evidently the widow
> of Henry Dedman( or Deadman, the name is spelled both ways) who was granted
> 350 acres of land in Rappahannock River June 27, 1650." (Cavaliers and
> Pioneers, p. 191)
>
> My question:  who was the wife of Robert Taliaferro and who were her
> parents!

Beware of things you find on Ancestry.com, especially if they don't
cite their sources. There's far too much there that is speculation or
outright fabrication. For instance, the claim that Robert married
Sarah Grymes has been disproved a long time ago. He definitely married
Katherine Dedman or Debnam, stepdaughter of Charles Grymes. Her mother
was also named Katherine, maiden name unknown. There is still some
controversy over her father's name: Dedman or Debnam, Henry or
William.

I think Katherine --- Grymes's first husband was William DEBNAM, not
Henry DEDMAN. But the two may be related. Cy Rilee
<[log in to unmask]> 29 Jan 1999: "This Gloucester native and
researcher must caution that Debnam/Dedman/Deadman are used
interchangeably within Gloucester's sketchy records to refer to the
same family."

August 9, 1711, in Essex County Court, Robert Taliaferro III (grandson
of Robert Taliaferro I and Katherine, his wife) sold to Augustine
Smith 200 acres of land, 'part of 600 acres formerly granted to
Mr. Charles Grymes September 4, 1654, and by his last will and
testament bequeathed to Katherine Dedman, grandmother of the said
Robert Taliaferro.' (Essex County records D.B. 12, p. 426) On Aug 6,
1692, John Smith, of Ware Parish, Gloucester County, made a deed to
John Taliaferro, of St Mary's Parish, Essex County, for 200 acres of
land, 'the one half moiety of the land taken up by Charles Grymes,
dec'd, November 22, 1661, and bequeathed by him to Mary Dedman.'
(Essex County record, Book 1, p. 40.) [This establishes that Katherine
and Mary were sisters.]

Polly Cary Mason, _Records of Colonial Gloucester Co, VA_, I:25
"Debnam, William, 6 May 1652, PB 3:91, 600 acres Gloucester Co., Along
Craney Cr. of Ware River, adj. Thomas Breman and land formerly
belonging to George Worleich.  Patent Book 3:55, 26 Dec 1653, 1500 a,
on a branch one mile from the Severne R. -- marked tree of
Geo. Ludlow, through Cedar Is. to the Bay to Shaws Cr., incl. all
marshes and Oaken Island."

Wayne Rogers, _Gone to Texas_, says that William and Katherine had
William, Katherine m. Robert Taliaferro, Ann m. Edward Hoyle, and Mary
m. Lawrence Smith.

On June 4, 1652, Henry Dedman made bond for 8,337 lbs. of tobacco to
Richard Bennett. On February 19, 1652/3, he gave a heifer to his son;
October 24, 1653, he had 3 tithables, February 6, 1654/5, he was taxed
with 2 tithables, and June 6, 1655, he was deceased and Richard
Perrott was his administrator. (See Fleet's _Lancaster County Court
Orders 1652-1655_)

This is not a family I have done a lot of work on. If others have more
sources to cite, please do so on the list.

Kathleen Much

http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html.