VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2016

From:
Pam Sulzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2016 14:29:28 +0000
I enjoyed reading the linked article about dueling. My 3x great grandfather, James Turner (1782-1843), was involved in a duel in Louisiana in 1810. Interestingly enough, his rival was named Francis Triplett. A possible relative of the Mary Triplett mentioned as the reason for Page McCarty's duel in the link John provided?
The account of my grandfather's duel below made several national papers in September 1810 but did not give the reason for the duel:

"A duel was fought recently near Francisville, West Floriida, between Francis Triplett & James Turner, Esqrs. attorneys at law, at Pointe Coupee. The first fire Mr. Triplett received his antagonists ball directly thro' the heart, and expired instantly."

My grandfather, James Turner, was born in Fairfax Co., VA, moved to Lexington, KY in 1786 and migrated to Louisiana about 1805. I remembered reading about the Triplett family while researching my early VA Turner line. I tried to find a possible link between my grandfather's adversary, Francis Triplett, and the Tripletts of Fairfax and Loudoun counties but haven't been able to identify him.
Could a Triplett researcher on this list possibly know of this Francis Triplett who lost his life in Louisiana?
Pam