VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2010

From:
Carolyn Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 14:31:20 -0400
The only connection COULD HAVE BEEN that the two counties both start
with "G" and perhaps an abbreviation confused the two.

In Virginia, there is a Franklin County, and a City of Franklin which is
located within the boundaries of Southampton County. I have seen several
instances in which the county and city were confused, leading to a
search error of a couple of hundred miles. One such misinterpretation is
on Familysearch, if I remember correctly. It's not hard to see how the
mistake occurred; if one just says "in Franklin, VA" which is meant? The
lesson is... neither add to nor subtract from brief information before
checking it out. It's better to put it down verbatim and let the next
researcher decide for him/her self.

Also, on Google Earth, a photo showing the famous Biltmore Mansion near
the mountain city of Asheville, NC, is displayed as being in Tidewater,
VA! I don't know how to get that corrected.

Carolyn HALE BRUCE
Virginia Beach, VA