VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2009

From:
Al Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:06:09 -0500
I am looking for help with the naming patterns of children in early
Virginia.

Robert and Mourning Adams had 11 children.  Of those children, ten of
them had children of their own.

8 of the 10 children named a child Robert.
5 had daughters named Mourning.

8 of the 10 had a son named James.
6 of the 10 had a son named William.

6 of the 10 had a daughter named Elizabeth or Betty.

There does not seem to be any pattern such as Robert being the first
son, James the second and William the third.  They are random.
William was the 7th son of one child and the 9th son of another.
William was never the first son.  James was the first son of two
children and the second son of two others.  But he was the 6th son of
one child and the 8th son of another.  Robert was never the first son.
He was normally 3rd, 4th or 5th.

So I do not see a pattern.

Mourning and some of her children were in a Quaker congregation after
the death of Robert.  We do not know if they had been Quakers all along.
I know that Quakers are known to have a naming pattern for their
children.

We do not know who the parents were of either Robert or Mourning.  I
thought that the names of their grandchildren might give a clue.

Thanks
Al Adams