VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:46:56 -0500
One of my roadblocks is Thomas Starke b. 1724 Virginia. Since this is my surname line and since our family had the wrong family information for well over 150 yrs., I really stuck.
According to DNA (my brother and a cousin) we are not descended from the Col. John Starke of Hanover County family. He DID have a son named Thomas, thus this Thomas was born abt 1740, thus too young to be our Thomas. The ONLY record I have of Thomas' birth is his obiturary from the Augusta, Richmond Co., Ga. newspaper... a very detailed obiturary, obviously written by the family or someone who knew the family well. Thomas died 10 Oct 1794 Wilkes Co., Ga. at the age of 70 yrs. thus the 'proof' of the 1724 date of birth. He died of gout, a disease commonly suffered by men, average age 40, and of course it is not fatal now, but would cause renal failure in the 18th century.
Thomas married Elizabeth in 1760 Virginia - without proof, I believe that her surname was Jones! Right! I needed that! However, my direct ancestor, my 4th great-grandfather was named Phillip Jones Stark b. 27 may 1770 Charlotte Co., Va.
In 1775, Thomas was in Lunenburg Co., Va. (the area had been in Charlotte co., and Thomas owned land on both sides of the border (creek)) when he donated beef for the Army - and is listed by the DAR as a patriot - and the surame Jones has been accepted by the DAR as the name of his wife in the past.
By 1785, Thomas was in Wilkes Co., Ga.
I find a Phillip Jones in Caroline County, Va. who would have been the right age to be Thomas' contemporary... other reseach has been a dead end.
* 1757 - Caroline County, VA .. Court Action .. Order Book .. page 318 .. 11 Nov 1757 .. It's ordered Phillip Jones pay Joseph Butler 150 pounds of tobacco for six days attendance .. Wm. Wright 125 pounds of tobacco for five days attedance as and evidence for him ads. Collins.

Also:  Louisa County deed book B - 1758, p 131.... John and Anne Starke to Richard Jones 400 acres near Beaver Creek.

This is the Col. John Starke who was 'assumed' to be Thomas' father... but to be noted Thomas did NOT inherit, nor did he name a child, Anne, after his 'supposed' mother - and who we know could not have been his mother through DNA and the date of Thomas' birth.

Since Thomas does name his sons the names used throughout the Col. John Starke family, and since we are NOT descended from ANY of the known Stark(e) families in Virginia, perhaps Thomas was an orphan bonded to William Starke, father of John, or one of his brothers. Note: Thomas named his firstborn son William. It could be that Thomas became attached to the family, and they to him, so he adopted their surname... our DNA matches with two men at this juncture... named O'Neal and Kennedy... I do find reference to O'Neal in the King & Queen, King William areas during the time reference. However, I have found NOTHING to indicate this scenario. Add to that the fact that our haplotype is F1b1 - a very typical haplo for persons of Great Britain ancestry. The descendants of Col. John Starke (several have tested) show an 'odd' G genotype, thus we cannot possibly be descended from this family.

This is far beyond my cababilities, and I am really stuck! Hoping to take our family back to the original emigrant, I have to end this line with Thomas - for now.