VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

From:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Don Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:19:17 -0500
Alice:

I have been using digital cameras for several years and have taken a great
deal of pictures and it is far superior to making paper copies at your library.
Today you can buy a great camera for no more than $200. I use one of the
Nikon Coolpix models that has a no flash copy setting, but any of the point
and shoot models should have a similar function. I also can take pictures of
microfilm images. My library has the microfilm viewers with the white board
surface tilted at a slight angle and the manual hand crank on the right. I take
pictures of images of interest to view later when I return home. Usually it
takes two or three shots of the same screen due to the focus issues of what
is on the white board. It works and I have transcribed several old records than
span many pages while sitting in front of my computer at home. The ability to
zoom in and take as long as you need to decipher that old handwriting is
invaluable. Just remember when copying a book page to first copy the title
page for your citation and always check the image to be sure it is in focus.

This method is a win-win deal for the library as well. No need for patrons to
open an old one of a kind book to more than 90 degrees to copy it, no flash of
light from a copy machine, no need to worry about maintaining so many copy
machines and those expensive supplies (toner, paper, service calls), and if
anyone really does care about saving trees…well. Any librarian should love a
patron that chooses to use a digital camera over the copy machine; now they
can focus on more useful tasks rather than dealing with copy machine
availability issues.  I’m thinking about teaching a class at my local library to
help patrons to move into the digital image mode, and no I do not work at a
library.

Regards,
Don Trent in Texas