VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2009

Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:12:41 -0500
Is the microfilm of the original register?  Or is it of the cards mentioned
in the initial post?  When was the film made?

As a check, you can search out a two volume set covering the records up to
31 Dec 1950, transcribed (apparently from the original handwritten register)
by Miss A. [Alice] Böhmer Rudd.  She states in her introduction that she
began copying the records "years ago" in the brick building at 210 Hospital
Street (across from the gate) when Mr. Thomas B. Morton was Superintendent.
The volumes were self-published about 1960.  LC No.  F234  R5  R8  1960

She shows (v2, p 203) John Grotts, bur 3 Feb 1930, age 54y 2m 4d, died in
Richmond.  Thus, the spelling error for John Grotts [sic] appears to have
been in the original.

As for the correction issue... "His mother in law, whose name I
have in the family Bible and written by her own father as "Ida", was
listed as "Ina." For some reason she seems to be "Ina" in most places
now, it will probably never be corrected." ...

Scan the bible pages and send copies to libraries as well as post on the
web.  A Bible, privately held and out of public view, will do nothing to
correct errors.  Let everyone see the original handwritten entries and add a
transcription if you like.