VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2006

Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:56:09 EST
The discussion on surveys sparked my curiousity again on my ancestor Jacob
Prillaman Sr. who was said to be a surveyor.   I looked thru plat books to see
if his name was signed on any early surveys and had no luck there.   His will
describes the division of his estate in survey terms such as "from the Chesnut
tree aforesd. So. 28 W 22 po to a Spanish oak So. 11 W 57 po to a white oak in
the old line & with it N 14 W 56 po to a sorrel wood N 23 E 62 po to a poplar
on Daniels run".   His will is signed Jacob Prillaman Sen. and underneath his
name is written "L.S." in a way that reminded me of the way someone would
write esquire.   Does anyone know the meaning of the letters "L.S."?   This may
be a crazy question but would it have anything to do with surveying or his
profession?

Twyla Edwards
Prillaman Family Genealogy