VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2015

From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:25:40 -0500
In addition to Maryland and lower tidewater counties, another source of immigration to the Northern Neck was the Eastern Shore and of course England itself.

Please remember that the mother county of the Northern Neck was Northumberland, which was formed from the Chickacoan Indian District, Although it was first represented in the House of Burgesses in 1645 by John Mottrom (a Kent Island refugee), it was not formally created—nor patents allowed to be made there—until 1648.

It is also important to know that a large part of what is now Westmoreland—more or less all of Cople Parish—was still in Northumberland until 1666 when a significant boundary adjustment made upon the death of Col. Richard Lee of Dividing Creek (Northumberland County) who did not want his property in two counties. This even though Westmoreland was formed in 1653. This does not affect Francis Gray up in Washington Parish, but is important to bear in mind if your ancestors are further east.

As to Booth, the name indeed does go back to the early days, but I am not personally knowledgable enough about them to say where they came from, or exactly when.

Craig Kilby
Kilby Research Services
www.craigkilby.com