VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:18:37 -0500
Dear Mae,

It depends on when you want to know.  In 1647, when Southwarke parish was created, its boundaries were from College run to Upper Chippokes creek.  This is west (up river) from what is now called Bacon's Castle, so it was located in Lawnes Creek parish.  In Feb. 1709, Mr. Arthur Allen, who owned the Manor, referred to himself in his will as of Lawnes Creek parish.  Of course, once Southwark parish took over all of Surry county in 1739, it was, and continues to be, in Southwarke parish.

However, you may want to contact the Association of Preservation of Virginia Antiqueties (APVA), who run the place, and see what their official stance is.  I believe that the house is closed until March, abut someone at the central office should have information.

Hope this helps,

Anne Gwaltney