VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2002

From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W. Scott Smith
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:05:53 -0400
Hello all,

I have a question regarding a land transaction that I am working on. In
addition to the deed, I have found this "acknowledgement" dated two years
after the deed. To the untrained eye, it seems as if something nefarious was
going on, but I would expect that the following proceeding is much more
mundane.

Any thoughts?

The text is below (blank lines indicate unreadable script):

The Commonwealth of Virginia __ Samuel __ Harrison & John M. Gordon
Gentlemen Justices of the Corporation of Lynchburg ____ whereas John Lynch
and Mary Lynch his wife by them certain indentures of bargain & sale bearing
date the 6th day of August 1812 have sold and conveyed unto Agatha Dicks, a
certain half acre lott of ground in the Town of Lynchburg with the
appurtenances there unto belonging; and whereas the said Mary Lynch cannot
conveniently travel to our court of hustings for the corporation of
Lynchburg to make acknowledgement of the said conveyance. Therefore we do
give unto you, or __ __ or more of you, power to receive the acknowledgement
which the said Mary Lynch shall be willing to make before you of the
conveyance aforesaid contained in the said indenture, which is hereunto ____
and we do therefore command you that you do personally go to the said Mary
Lynch and receive her acknowledgement of the same, and examine her privately
and apart from the said John Lynch her husband, whether she doth the same
freely and voluntarily without his persuasions or threats, and whether she
be willing that the same should be recorded in our said court of hustings
for the corporation aforesaid, and when you have received her
acknowledgement, and examined her as aforesaid that you distinctly and
openly certify us thereof in our said court under your seals sending then
there the said indenture and this writ. Witness William Norvell Clerk of the
said court this 20th day of July 1814 and in the 39th year of the
Commonwealth.

Corporation of Lynchburg ___
Pursuant to the ____ ____ ____ decided we did this day examine the above
named Mary Lynch, privately and apart from John Lynch her husband, and do
certify that she did before us acknowledge as her act and deed the indenture
hereto ____ which was by us then shewn and explained then. The said Mary
Lynch declaring to us that she made the said acknowledgement freely and
voluntarily without the persuasions or threats of her said husband and was
willing the said indenture should be recorded in the Court of Hustings above
mentioned. Certified under our hand and seals this 8th day of August 1814.
                                                                S. Harrison, Mayor
                                                                John M. Gordon

-Margin Note: “Returned 10th August 1814”