VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:58:01 -0600
Nope, many were signed by Secretaries or by a land office administrator/official.  Still though, no small number yet exist that were actually signed by  a President and bear the Great Seal of the United States.  There are a considerable number of those floating about on the market almost weekly.  Go to Google and type in "Land Grant President original".  I have owned several over the years, though none right now.  As you state, what you find in courthouse are almost always clerks' copies, and the original "patents" were given to the new owner of the land.