VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:04:59 -0400
Sunshine what you are doing is a worthy endeavor.
My husband's grandmother is 95 and was married
in the middle of the Depression. Her double cousin,
Virgie is 93. Virgie is married to Jimmy who is 95.
Out of the three of them Jimmy would be the one
that may be the best for you to contact. I will catch
up with him in the next few days and ask him if he
would be interested in talking with you. Janice gave
you good advice and I'm glad that you are planning
to following up on it. People in nursing homes
wear their survival of the Depression like a badge of
honor, and it is.

Phyllis, I enjoyed your rendition of 'Ain't We Got Fun'
but it's not a Depression song. It came out in the
beginning of the Roaring 20's. As for 'waterboarding'
that was around way before Georg Orwell's "1984".
Waterboarding was around at least as early as the Spanish
Inquisitions. It was also used in Colonial times. If you want
to look at predictions of the future, look to what Star Trek
pointed to.

Shirley, I will have to check our BRAVE NEW WORLD
by Aldous Huxley. I do believe that Americans still have grit
though. There are men and women who put their lives on the
line every day from fire fighters to police and soldiers. God
bless then all as the work they do is voluntarily.

Kind Regards, Vicki Ford