VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2001

Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 07:04:55 -0600
Just a few items of comment, as an "amateur" researcher concerning the
LDS info, sites, etc. as I understand it:

1.  The LDS state that the material is volunteered by individuals, and
the LDS have not verified/documented the material.

2.  I am not aware the LDS are "selling" the information.  The
FamilySearch website is free, including the new Pedigree Resource File
materials they have posted to it.  (You can get a home version CD packet
of the PRF  for "materials and shipping" cost to the LDS)......any of the
newer PRF will be posted to the website for free access I believe.

3.  The LDS microfilm and books are available free of charge if you are
at the Salt Lake Library.....also the same material which is at your
local Family History Center is also available free of charge.......There
is a $3-$4 shipping and handling fee should you wish to "rent" a SLC film
to your local site......If you wish a permanent copy of a SLC microfilm
at your local site, the fee is about $9-10 for "materials and shipping".

4.  I have understood from "someone who should know" that LDS may no
longer post any "Ancestral File" contributions, due to the conflicting
information on many of the "links", but rather will post only "Pedigree
Resource File" type contributions, showing only immediate families, not
several generations linked.

Happy Hunting

Roger Ward
Lubbock, Texas
email  [log in to unmask]
The More We Know, The Less We Learn (or vice-versa)