VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

From:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Huffstutler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:23:01 -0400
Over the years I have found many people that others have not been able to.
In fact, I say "I" found my g-grandfather where a professional had searched
for over 40-years ... only took me a couple months but all via Internet.  I
found bits and pieces, had someone do the leg work, and zoomed in for the
kill.  Sure, someone else retrieved the information for me but it was my digging
that located him so how do you source that?

His brother was also missing and again, seasoned researchers in VA have tried
for years but either didn't dig deep enough or simply overlooked him?  I came
up with a possible time frame he died, knew his wife's name, where someone
suspected he once lived, then methodically went one-by-one in the death
certificates for that time frame and area on microfilm and eventually came
across him.  His first name was misspelled on the death certificate index
transcriptions but not on the certificate.  Once I found it I immediately posted
my finds (and others I ran across that day) in the area that I thought
researchers would pick it up.  I wasn't looking for fame and fortune and only
hoped people who took the info would do the right thing and cite the source
but if not, at least I can hope that this one find would lead to another as
people add to it.

Eric