VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:43:27 GMT
The information in the tax lists for 1782 and 1787 was transcribed in book form as a 1790 census substitute for VA.  The images were nice because there was some additional information.  I don't have the full reference for the books.  I know where they are on the shelves at our local? (an hour away) library.

I've had mixed success in borrowing the tax lists on interlibrary loan.  I believe I was told that they were only available on ILL for the burned record counties.  I was told I had to go to Richmond to see the rest.

I have gotten a lot a valuable information checking multiple consecutive years of tax lists.  You can tell when a male child turns 16, because there is an extra tithable listed, and sometimes the name of the child.  The order in which the names are listed gives you some information about the nearest neighbors, ....

Sue