VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2016

From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:37:38 +0000
I think I can help a little with the second part of the question.   In a simple case:  If the slave was taken all the way to New Orleans or Louisiana then you might have some luck with the parish notarial archives.  Louisiana operated on a different legal system where the notary public recorded all the property transfers including slaves.     The trick is you need to know the names of the slave trader and their associates.   For example here in Norfolk, Bernard Raux operated the Norfolk branch while his partner, Paul Pascal ran their New Orleans office.   Some of the entries in the NOLA notarial archives are under Pascal and others are under Raux.

Link to Orleans Parish Notarial Archives:   http://www.orleanscivilclerk.com/history.htm

If you don’t know the trader's name, you should check the Richmond newspapers from 1834 to see who had slave ads.  You should also browse the shipping manifests for slaves sent by ship to New Orleans.  Look for manifests coming from Richmond or Petersburg to see the names of local traders.   Ancestry has the collection scanned on their site.   Look for "New Orleans, Louisiana, Slave Manifests, 1807-1860" under Immigration and Travel section.

I hope it helps...

Troy Valos

Special Collections Librarian

Sargeant Memorial Collection